- This event has passed.
Avian Adventures In The Bay Area
September 30 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm$175
Instructor: Miya Lucas And Wendy Beers
6 sessions on Thursdays and weekends
Venue: Zoom plus field trips
Fall is an avian wonder in the Bay Area. Our location on the Pacific Flyway brings many migrants through as they head south for the winter. This class will introduce you to some of these visitors, both their visual field marks and their songs and calls. Of course we’ll also include our large and diverse resident bird population. We will also introduce you to the miracles of avian physiology in small, focused vignettes.
This class welcomes both beginning and intermediate birders, and those who want to hone up on their bird identification skills. Lectures will not be recorded.
- Six Thursday evening classes by Zoom, on September 30, October 7, 14, 21, 28, November 4, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Five weekend field trips to a different habitat each week on Saturday or Sunday. For the last weekend (November 6 and 7) we’ll take an overnight trip to the Sacramento Delta and Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. This trip will last from Saturday morning through Sunday noon, and participants are responsible for their own lodging. (Although we will provide recommendations about where to stay.)
- Start times for most field trips will be 8 a.m. but some will start around noon, due to tides. Two field trip sites involve steep uphill climbs.
- Lectures are via Zoom. Field trip locations will be announced in class.
- $175 for GGAS members, $200 for non-members.
Once this class is full, you may sign up to be on a waiting list.
Registration opens: July 1, 2021
Limited to 30 participants